Wednesday, May 13, 2009

LEGEND ALICE COOPER GATHERS NO MOSS

ALTHOUGH LEGENDARY ROCKER Alice Cooper has been often quoted in the squishy media as a supporter of the Republican Party, Cooper set the record straight during a recent interview with Canada's Hour. "I'll be honest, I go from Democrat to Republican," he said.

"I vote for the person, not the party. Regarding this past year's elections, Cooper said of former US Vice President hopeful Sarah Palin, "I think she's totally a breath of fresh air. When they say she has no experience, maybe that's what Washington needs. I still don't know who I'm going to vote for. But in a shooting war, I want a pit bull, not a poodle. I'm gonna go for the hawk."

“If you’re a right-wing rock journalist,” says Alice Cooper, “I’m in your corner all the way.”

Alice enjoyed a brief flurry of blogosphere glory last year, after standing up to one of Australia’s smarmiest television personalities. Glib puppet Andrew Denton was easily flustered when Alice could back up his support for the war in Iraq. Denton made some typically wrong assumptions about the rock star—not that Alice was offended.

“I revel in that kind of thing,” says Alice. “It angers me so much when I realize that people are jumping on some anti-Bush bandwagon. I’ve been misquoted lately on that. Some people are claiming that I said certain rockers were traitors to America. I think they’re traitors to rock ’n roll. When I was a kid, I’d put The Yardbirds on when my parents talked about politics. Rock ’n roll was my escape from politics. It still is. Why do you think we’re rock ’n rollers? We’re morons.”

Cooper also defies expectations with his Christian beliefs. The Sunday school teacher preaches what he practices on 2005’s Dirty Diamonds. Other rockers dream of running with the devil. Alice dreams of vengeful mayhem in songs like “Run Down The Devil.” Stryper or Bono could never come up with lyrics like, “I want to take him to the Mercury grill/I hope he’s ready for the big blast/ He’ll be my ultimate road kill/I’ll kick his future up his past.”

Alice isn’t afraid to take those same beliefs on the road, lecturing baffled death-metal acts that end up sharing the bill on world tours. And did you catch that part where Alice says that rock ’n rollers are morons?

Thanks to Blabbermouth.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home