Monday, March 09, 2009

MARK WARNER ON GUN CONTROL

It only took a couple of weeks to receive my first reply to an action letter I wrote to several members of the US Congress concerning what appears to be a stealth assault on the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution by the Obama regime...

Dear Mr. Thy,

Thank you for contacting me to share your views on gun control. I appreciate your thoughts on this important issue.

I realize that there are very strong opinions on both sides of the debate around Second Amendment rights. I support public policies that ensure the responsible and appropriate use of guns, as well as efforts to reduce gun-related crimes through increased enforcement and background checks. I do not, however, support laws or regulations that infringe on the Second Amendment Constitutional right of law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms.

In the United States Senate, legislation on gun control generally falls under the jurisdiction of the Senate Judiciary Committee, of which I am not a member. Please be assured that I value the thoughts that you have shared with me on this important issue. I will keep your views in mind should any legislation on this matter come before the full Senate in the future.

Again, thank you for writing. As we move forward in the 111th Congress, please continue to contact me with your opinions and concerns.

Sincerely,
MARK R. WARNER
United States Senator

The most interesting piece of information conveyed by this reply was how Senator Mark Warner signed off this letter, as a United States Senator with no mention of the State of Virginia he was elected to represent, at all. I suspect, should any of Senator Warner's esteemed colleagues indeed reply to my original note, and they happen to mention their respective state constituency they will probably also include their party affiliation, again diluting the original power and prestige each of the States once maintained as partners in this Great Union, a union now tragically scarred and blemished by an unwarranted and unwieldy Federal encroachment of those powers and liberty.

To set things back on firm ground, a spirited patriotic citizen or two might find themselves approving of and supporting a movement to repeal the 17th Amendment, not the second. On principle of course, not because one Senator Warner forgot to mention his constituency in a form letter to me. I do thank the senator for his reply.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home